Friday, December 9, 2011

Charter School

This week I made my debut in the Charter Schools of Utah Valley. It was refreshing to interact with students whose parents are particularly invested in their students' education. It was also good to be in a fifth grade classroom where I could project my laptop through the overhead projector.

So, I taught the words to the PreKeys Sing Along With QWERTY songs by playing the music and showing the words to the songs simultaneously. It was rewarding to me to share "Pinkey Pokey" and "The Back Space Tango" along with the other half dozen songs. I took the opportunity to share these "sponge activities"' at the transitions between curriculum lessons and recess.

I also snuck in a PreKeys PreTest to see how much the students had learned from their school wide keyboarding lessons, which they said had all completed. Only two of the students was able to fill in the numbers and keys with 100% accuracy on the second round. None of them had the first round.

No comments:

Post a Comment