Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Piano Keyboarding

This year I'm returning to my first love - piano keyboarding! I have taken on 20 piano students, this summer, and will try to schedule more as the school year resumes. My original intent, when I began writing PreKeys computer keyboarding lessons, was to apply the principles of piano pedagogy to direct instruction for computer literacy.
"My turn, watch me. Questions? Your turn, I'll watch."
That format includes both modeling, praise and correction, personalized for each student. 


Most of my piano students, young and old alike, seem to prefer the right hand over the left hand, since much of our culture favors and encourages right handedness. However, we are taught to read and write from left to right. I, therefore, encourage each piano student to practice the left hand double the amount of time that the right hand plays each song. I definitely introduce the notes for each new song with hands playing separately, then together. 


There are several techniques in common between the piano and the computer keyboards. With both we encourage our students to sit up with backs straight, feet flat on the floor, and fingers curved. We encourage them to develop peripheral vision while keeping their eyes on the copy, not on their fingers. We encourage constant rhythm as they develop speed and accuracy.

However, most beginning computer students are taught in a room full of students with similar age and ability levels. The ratio of students to teacher is often as high as 25 to 1. The modeling comes from animated computer graphics, not from an actual teacher or tutor. 

I will continue to post new ideas on this blog, and also invite your comments.

Dr. Bill Morgan, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment