Thursday, October 13, 2011

Keyboarding is the Key to Computer Literacy

Welcome to my world. Having grown up on piano lessons, with six younger sisters and three pianos in the house, I learned early in life to develop finger dexterity and think through my fingers. However, it was not until high school when I learned to use the typewriter (I know this really dates me, but I'm over 50, so get over it!). At the University of Utah I learned to type a rough draft on the Mac Classic, save an electronic copy, and return later to edit what I had written without retyping the whole page or paper.

Also at "the U" I took software evaluation classes, where we analyzed and identified the strengths and weaknesses of educational software and specific ways to integrate technology with classroom curriculum. That began my quest, to evaluate teachers' use of technology. This theme followed me throughout my graduate studies at Brigham Young University, when I became certified as an Educational Administrator. At Utah State University, then, I developed an instrument for assessing teachers' use of technology and used it to Evaluate the Idaho Technology Portfolio Assessment. More on that later.

Today I am transferring over from DocFrog.blogspot.com. I realized, lately, that the label "Doc Frog" makes sense to those who have known me over the past decade and how I have encouraged my students not to "hunt and peck like chickens" with their fingers, but rather to "hop like Doc Frog" on the computer keyboard. However, Keyboarding Integration with Core Curriculum is really what I am all about (not just keyboarding).

1 comment:

  1. In addition, the product known as Pre-Keys was created to guide early childhood teachers as they introduce the complex patterns on the QWERTY Keyboard to their students. However, it did not stop with Pre-Keys. I have now created the dueling Keyboarding Pirates, Captain Lefty and the Captain who is Always Right.

    ReplyDelete